DuoPhile.com

Turbo Sample/Preview Proto Discs? **UPDATE**

The place for general discussion of all things Turbo Grafx / PC Engine / Duo related.
syphic

Turbo Sample/Preview Proto Discs? **UPDATE**

Postby syphic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:36 pm

So recently a fan of my youtube channel reached out to me and stated that he had some promo & possible protoype games he had for over 15 years. Said he got em in a Turbo game lot years ago. He never got into the Turbo but had these laying around this whole time and finally wanted someone to check em out to see whats on em and maybe buy em. He sent me pictures and everythng matched up. (pics below)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152068740186874.1073741827.662811873&type=1&l=23f0ba9e4f

Met up with the dude so we could test em out. Brought my duo with me and a small lcd screen with inputs. Unfortunately he hadnt taken care of em too well. Shadow of the Beast and Shape Shifter had small scratches on the data side of the disks so both games would not load up at all. Buster bros and Forgotten worlds had small scratches on the bottom but no scratches to the data part. Kinda sad that we will never know what was on the Shadow and Shape discs. Would have loved to see how these differed if any to the finished products. :cry:

***UPDATE***

So I was able to rip the data off the 2 that wouldn't read on the DUO. I then burned em onto new discs and they have been playable so far on the DUO. No issues so far on either of the 2 games. Now to compare them to the final versions and see if there is anything different.
Last edited by syphic on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Punch

Re: A sad end to a possible amazing score.

Postby Punch » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:39 pm

A shame indeed, but I honestly don't think they would have too many differences from the final versions.
is this real life

nullity

Postby nullity » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:07 pm

This is a tragic loss for sure. At least the discs didn't have "Dangerous Journeys" or "Riftwar Saga" written on them!

I personally wouldn't give up on the discs just yet, though. Have you tried them on a PC with an emulator? If that fails, too, it may be worth the expense of sending them off to be resurfaced.

RoyVegas

Postby RoyVegas » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:30 pm

An amazing find to be sure. Always nice to see a piece of Turbo history pop up, no matter what it is. Too bad about the scratched discs but still cool to have!

syphic

Postby syphic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 pm

***UPDATE***

So I was able to rip the data off the 2 that wouldn't read on the DUO. I then burned em onto new discs and they have been playable so far on the DUO. No issues so far on either of the 2 games. Now to compare them to the final versions and see if there is anything different.

nullity

Postby nullity » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 pm

syphic wrote:***UPDATE***

Sweet! I look forward to hearing what you find.

Return to Turbo Talk