DuoPhile.com

splatterhouse review

Scruffles

splatterhouse review

Postby Scruffles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 pm

I could've sworn I'd already posted a quick review of this, but it's not here, so it must've been my imagination. I don't have much to say, it's set up a little differently and there are a few different enemies here and there, but other than that, this is like every other pre-360 version of splatterhouse. The series is a horror classic and I kind of wish NEC had made more of them. If you haven't played it, do so. It's nothing groundbreaking as far as graphics or gameplay go, but it's fun and one of the first horror games ever made.

nullity

Re: splatterhouse review

Postby nullity » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Scruffles wrote:I don't have much to say, it's set up a little differently and there are a few different enemies here and there, but other than that, this is like every other pre-360 version of splatterhouse.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D I spent some time playing this one on Halloween this year and, after falling to "the room" boss and subsequently trouncing him/it on my 2nd attempt, he dropped a chandelier on my head which took my last hit point and sent me back to the title screen.

I cursed.

Saving this one as a Halloween treat. Maybe by Halloween 2014 I'll stop being pissed off about that post-victory cheap shot that ended my first proper play session with this title.

Scruffles

Postby Scruffles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:24 pm

ha, had the exact same thing happen to me, I can only imagine how pissed I would've been if that had happened when I was a kid.

FiftyQuid

Postby FiftyQuid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Scruffles wrote:ha, had the exact same thing happen to me, I can only imagine how pissed I would've been if that had happened when I was a kid.

You just summed up my first play of this game when I was 16. Chandelier death. It seems like a cheap death, but when you think about it I'm sure all of us started thinking "Hey, the chandelier is shaking. I wonder if that thing will fall..."

nullity

Postby nullity » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 am

FiftyQuid wrote:
Scruffles wrote:ha, had the exact same thing happen to me, I can only imagine how pissed I would've been if that had happened when I was a kid.

You just summed up my first play of this game when I was 16. Chandelier death. It seems like a cheap death, but when you think about it I'm sure all of us started thinking "Hey, the chandelier is shaking. I wonder if that thing will fall..."

Hah, yeah... i was breathing that sigh of relief after having cleared the stage (so I though) when I noticed it and had just enough time to think to myself "huh, i wonder if... no... they wouldn't make it do tha-" and start moving a moment too late to get out of the way. :lol:

I actually wasn't terribly mad about it. I cursed to be sure and had to take a break from the game, but thought it was a very clever touch that made me think that perhaps there's more to Splatterhouse and its gameplay than meets the eye.

Return to Splatterhouse