DuoPhile.com

Blazing Lazers At a Glance

Scruffles

Blazing Lazers At a Glance

Postby Scruffles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Blazing Lazers is a vertical shooter. It's a lot like R-type, you should monsters, space ships, robots and other scifi enemies while picking up weapon power ups, shields and bombs. If you're a fan of these kinds of shooters, you'll enjoy it. It's pretty easy up to level 2, but after that, it gets progressively harder. The graphics are pretty standard, although some of the bosses are pretty neat looking (see the screenshot topic) the music doesn't stand out either. The controls are pretty tight, so I liked that. My only complaint, is that with so many things going on, it's sometimes hard to find a place to maneuver without getting blown up, but I think that's the point and challenge of the game, so I really have nothing bad to say here. I made it to area 8 before giving up. By that point in the game, things are pretty tough and I don't think without the addition of save states, I would have ever made it that far. Kudos to anyone who beat this game without cheating in some way.

nullity

Re: Blazing Lazers At a Glance

Postby nullity » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Scruffles wrote:The graphics are pretty standard, although some of the bosses are pretty neat looking (see the screenshot topic) the music doesn't stand out either.

Disagree, and disagree. This was a launch title. Back in '89, there was not much that could touch this graphically (sheer number of sprites, no slowdown or flicker, and colors galore on the non-space non-desert levels). And the music... really? It is like i don't even know you! hahah... i'm a bit biased. Let's forget that the sound has good sampled voice, and the tunes are catchy as hell. I had a rather unusual history with this game. I think i mentioned in another thread that I got this game and had to spend the night with it in a hotel room before i got to play it. Well, that night I had a dream about the game. In that dream, i was playing the game and the only thing i remember about it was that the music had lyrics. At least one stage. I'm too tired to play through it, but do the sound test and check out track 6. I can tell you the lyrics to that song to this day. But not here. Call me and I'll sing them to you. 867-5309

Scruffles wrote:Kudos to anyone who beat this game without cheating in some way.

I havne't done it recently, but I beat this game in back in '90 or '91. Our brains have been addled since then, so I won't judge. My last attempt failed miserably!

roflmao

Postby roflmao » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:01 am

This game is a classic, and should have been the pack-in over Keith Courage. Awesome graphics and sound. And the gameplay is spot-on. Yeah, that last level is a beast. I haven't beaten it in recent history, but I remember bitd finally clearing it. Nowadays I can make it to the final level on one credit, but then the game beats me down and laughs at me. One trick is to shoot the orbs that pause on screen when hit until they turn to flashing orbs. Each of those flashing orbs you collect allows you to start off right where you're killed, rather than going back to the start of the level. I think the trick to beating BL is to collect a ton of them (and not die) before reaching that final level.

Scruffles

Postby Scruffles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 am

the only trick I found when playing, besides cheating with save states, was to try to always keep the "II" weapon and power it up as much as possible, that weapon made a lot of enemies easy fodder. I would inevitably get hemmed up in a corner though, and end up hitting the "power up" that reverts you to normal/double fire.

nullity

Postby nullity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 am

Rolf- I agree that this should have been the pack-in game, and that's very good advice about the flashing orbs. I couldn't remember how to get the 'golden ship' status which allows resuming at the place of death.

Scruff- You're a II fan, eh? So is Chris Bucci of Turbo Views. Myself, I can't seem to like II. My dream weapon is III fully powered with the F secondary weapon (full fire). Heat seeking lasers are neat. ( : IV with F can be pretty good as it gives you some defense since the orbs absorb bullets, and the slow moving phantom orbs of doom are a must for maximum points on stage 3.

Paddyfitz18

Postby Paddyfitz18 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:56 am

I would say the difficulty level of this game increases gradually, and then very suddenly! Last time I tried it was about 6 months ago. Man, this game has some great replay value. It is certainly a classic and in my opinion one of the best.

roflmao

Postby roflmao » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 am

I'm a III fan myself, but II and I can be doable. (the more I use I, the more I like it) I hate IV, though. Unless it's fully powered up, it's useless. And even then you're in for trouble.

I played some Blazing Lazers today (probably because of this thread) and made it a good way into Area 9 using mostly III and homing missiles, though I switched to shields for Area 8 (BUBBLES!) and Area 9. My only problem with III is that it turns those orbs flashy faster than I can get to them.

So much fun. Someday I'll beat this again. I can feel that I'm close.

Mathius

Postby Mathius » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:37 pm

This was my first shootie for the Turbo and it's one of my favorites. The music creates this extremely unique atmosphere that a lot of Turbo games seem to possess. It's hard to explain.

I have beaten this game only once a few years back but can't seem to get through the last level since then. I switch it up between weapons II and III along with the shield or multibodies. The voice samples seem to get made fun of a lot for their Genesis-like quality but I think they're pretty impressive.

I have a very personal history with this game too, Null. Maybe I'll share it one day.

roflmao

Postby roflmao » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:16 am

UPDATE!

I knew it was only a matter of time and on 6/18/2014 I beat Blazing Lazers on my Express while sitting in my excrutiatingly hot car during my lunch break:

I had so much fun that I played through it again that following weekend on my home console:

This game kicks sooooo much ass. It will lways be a classic in my eyes.

Paddyfitz18

Postby Paddyfitz18 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:40 am

Awesome dude !

Next

Return to Blazing Lazers