DuoPhile.com

Good Googly Moogly Bomberman 93 is awesome

roflmao

Good Googly Moogly Bomberman 93 is awesome

Postby roflmao » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:07 am

I am on a mission to beat this game. I've made it pretty far in the past, but have always had an unfortunate save mishap before finishing (last time being when I bought Shapeshifter and it wiped ALL my saves).

Currently I'm on world 5 and close to the boss, so I'm hoping within the next few days I'll be able to report back my win. :) This game is phenomenal. It's challenging at times, but I always feel like if I give it another shot I can make it to the next stage.

And the multiplayer is top notch. This is one I've had since the mid-90s and it's always been a party game. With 3-5 people, this game is a beast! I'll never forget the many nights I kept my non-gamer friends up with all the hooting and hollering coming out of my room back in the college days, thanks to Bomberman 93.

I like Bomberman 94 (especially the kangaroos) and I even have Saturn Bomberman, but I think this will always be my favorite Bomberman game.

Scruffles

Re: Good Googly Moogly Bomberman 93 is awesome

Postby Scruffles » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:11 pm

I love puzzle games, but for some reason I've never been able to get into Bomberman... perhaps it stems from the fact that my first experience with the series was on the n.e.s. I actually downloaded Bomberman Story recently, and haven't been able to get into that one either. (to be fair, most of the reviews I've read have said to get a different version of the game, instead) 2 questions:
1. I've heard a lot of good things about bomberman 93, would you consider it the definitive bomberman experience?
2. I think I might be under-rating the game because every time I've played, it's been single player...in your opinion, is it a better experience in multi-player mode? If I do an "at a glance", I'd like to have the best possible experience to base my review on.

roflmao

Postby roflmao » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Scruffles wrote:I love puzzle games, but for some reason I've never been able to get into Bomberman... perhaps it stems from the fact that my first experience with the series was on the n.e.s. I actually downloaded Bomberman Story recently, and haven't been able to get into that one either. (to be fair, most of the reviews I've read have said to get a different version of the game, instead) 2 questions:
1. I've heard a lot of good things about bomberman 93, would you consider it the definitive bomberman experience?
2. I think I might be under-rating the game because every time I've played, it's been single player...in your opinion, is it a better experience in multi-player mode? If I do an "at a glance", I'd like to have the best possible experience to base my review on.

1. Yeah, I think Bomberman '93 is the best one, when compared to the other Bomberman releases on the TG/PCE. It doesn't have as much "stuff" as Bomberman '94 (fewer characters to choose from in multiplayer, no kangaroos to ride on, etc), but I kind of see it as comparing Appetite for Destruction to Use Your Illusion. Use your Illusion is bigger, badder, more, but if I were stranded on a deserted island, I'd take Appetite for Destruction. :)

2. Bomberman '93 has the best single player experience, imo, but multiplayer for any of them is so much fun. Especially with 3+ people. And beer. It is the ultimate party game! Simple enough that ANYONE can sit down and play, and random enough that EVERYONE loses at some point.

I've never played Bomberman Story so can't really comment on it. There's a good Bomberman game for the original Game Boy (Bomberman GB) that I've played, but the only other Bomberman game that even comes close to the TG/PCE experience is Saturn Bomberman. It can have up to 10 people playing(!), though I only have 5 or 6 controllers and one tap... The single player mode for Saturn Bomberman is hard as nails. The bosses are just obscene. :evil:

Svarta Tigern

Postby Svarta Tigern » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:29 am

All three PCE Bomberman games are "full score" games. If I had to rate them overall, each would receive a 10/10, A, 100%, etc. "Perfect Score" is a misleading phrase that encourages negative reviewing, when someone starts with a perfect score and chisels away points as they come across imperfections, instead of genuinely appreciating the great things a game has to offer.

All three are must-play and must-listen games. Even the original game's Battle Mode is fully satisfying with 3 - 5 friends. Bomberman '93 just strikes the perfect balance in every way. It is the closest the series got to perfected core-Bomberman gameplay. '94 tried doing different things just to be different and tosses in all kinds of extra stuff just to stand out from the shadow of '93 and in an attempt to draw new fans to the series.

The sort of anime style of '94 with all of its excessive animation and details is very impressive and Saturn Bomberman would be more appropriately titled "Bomberman '94 II". But I still prefer '93's super shaded and colorful visuals, which fulfill my pre-16-bit dreams of what I wanted from next gen graphics. The gameplay sticks to quality-over-presentation and stages feel more like video game environments than visiting real places, which '94 does well. All three PCE Bomberman games have great sounding timeless soundtracks which duit each unique game, but '93 stands apart as my favorite on its own, as well as part of the game's tightly woven dna.

Casual gamers should probably stick with '94 for their introduction to the series. Anyone who has the time to invest in a deeply rewarding game experience which doesn't hold your hand as you play through, owe it to themselves to experience everything Bomberman '93 has to offer. Whether it's your first Bomberman game or your 20'th.

Return to Bomberman '93