DuoPhile.com

Bonk 3 At First Glance

Scruffles

Bonk 3 At First Glance

Postby Scruffles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:04 am

wow! Now this, is a platformer. The controls weren't as smoothe as I would have liked them to be, but they didn't cause me too many problems. The graphics were nice and cartoony enough to keep me and my stepson enthralled for a few hours. The music was ok, nothing really special there, but I'm willing to bet that will change when I try the cd version. My only real complaint with this game, is that some of the levels didn't have a clear objective... at the time, that was probably considered design innovation or challenge, but nowadays, it's just confusing. My final thought on this one: Definitely worth playing, especially if you're into platformers or giant cavemen... It's hard to believe it took nintendo so long to copy the concept of making the hero gigantic instead of just slightly larger.

nullity

Re: Bonk 3 At First Glance

Postby nullity » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:55 am

So were you playing 2-player with your stepson? A lot of people prefer Bonk's Adventure or Bonk's Revenge as a 1-player game, so you might want to check those out, too. I personally like Bonk's Revenge best out of the series as it has upgraded graphics over Bonk's Adventure (whereas Bonk III mostly reuses graphics from Bonk's Revenge). I prefer the control of Bonk's Adventure, which Bonk III comes close to matching, but the level design of Bonk III (as you noted) doesn't seem to be as tight as Bonk's Revenge.

Not to say that Bonk III is a bad game by any means. It just didn't really advance the gameplay/design/graphics of the series nearly as much as Bonk's Revenge. All solid games, though, and I'm glad to hear you had a good first date with the Turbo's mascot game series. :D

Scruffles

Postby Scruffles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:32 pm

no, lol I'm such an asshole, I didn't let him play, just watch... he's actually in trouble for having a gamer tantrum and throwing a controller down, so I'm not letting him play any games for a while...shall we say he dis-obeyed? MUWAHAHA anyfuck, yeah, i've done quick 5 min. runs of most of the card games, just to see what they're about and as I recall, I liked Bonk 2, but haven't revisited it... it didn't have the Gigantic Bonk in it, did it? I think that's why I opted to play this one, because the kid got excited when he saw how big he grew. Any thoughts on the differences between this and the cd version?

roflmao

Postby roflmao » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:55 am

Bonk's Adventure >>> Bonk's Revenge >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bonk 3

IMO. :D

I've played some 2-player Bonk 3 and it wasn't fun. They should have kept it a 1-player game.

Having said that, thanks for your review! It's always good to hear an opinion from a new(ish) player.

lukester

Postby lukester » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Revenge>3>adventure, solely on game design

Adventure has the best atmosphere but I prefer the exploration in the other two games.

I don't like the pacing in adventure and the bonus stages and bosses are okay.

However, all three games are still great platformers. A+ for revenge though. And having grown up with all the Mario games, I can say this with confidence.

Return to Bonk 3 - Bonk's Big Adventure