DuoPhile.com

Probably an awesome game, but...

Paddyfitz18

Probably an awesome game, but...

Postby Paddyfitz18 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Here is my problem with Legendary Axe II. I can't get over the fact that I am controlling a character outfitted with nothing but a headband, thong, and a sword. It's as if in preparing to set out on the adventure, he remembered his accessories, but forgot his actual clothes.

When I first tried this game, I thought, well, the point must be that you have to purchase armor and what not as the game progresses. But although I haven't really played into it for more than 90 seconds or so, I don't believe that ever happens. I have read reviews and looked at a number of obscene screen shots and I believe the main character is in fact naked throughout.

If I had the skill and know-how to do such things, I would make a mod of this game, changing only the attire of the main character. Then I would really give it more of a try, because from what I understand it is overall a pretty good game besides.

Scruffles

Re: Probably an awesome game, but...

Postby Scruffles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:34 pm

lol. I had a very similar reaction to the movie Beowulf.

nullity

Postby nullity » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Hahaha, too funny. I was also kind of put off by the character's banana hammock, but decided to give the game a try last night. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the genre, because by the time I reached level 2's boss and its semi-unavoidable attack (at least if you have no skill like me) I decided I didn't care to trudge back through the level to fight him again. I can only imagine how low my desire to continue would be if I ever exhausted the continues.

But as with all things turbo, especially the games that kick my arse, I'll come back to it eventually and make it pay for what it did to my little naked barbarian.

roflmao

Postby roflmao » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:16 am

I'm a bit surprised.

I found Ledendary Axe II far easier than LA1. While I haven't finished either yet, I have been able to make it way farther in the second one, and not only that, found it more fun to play. I know with a bit of effort the second one is beatable, even if there isn't an actual "Legendary Axe" (until maybe the final level). Notice you start off with a sword.... :?:

I seriously can't believe some of you are turned off because of how the protagonist is dressed. Is it a problem for you to play games when the protagonist is a scantily clad woman?

majors

Postby majors » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:22 pm

I like the visual style of LA1 over LA2. I can't really believe it is a sequel. Sort of like Rastan and Rastan Saga 2 <- utter trash.
---
Majors -=- Wedoca '15

FiftyQuid

Postby FiftyQuid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:38 pm

I don't find it off putting, but I can't for the life of me not play the game without thinking the main character is some sort of Tarzan wannabee.

Paddyfitz18

Postby Paddyfitz18 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:12 am

roflmao wrote: I seriously can't believe some of you are turned off because of how the protagonist is dressed. Is it a problem for you to play games when the protagonist is a scantily clad woman?

True. I see your point.

nullity

Postby nullity » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 am

I dunno... I find scantily clad women to be a bit easier on the eyes. ( :

roflmao

Postby roflmao » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:01 am

True, nullity. No argument there.

However, I'm pretty sure they were going for a "Conan" look for LA2 and just didn't hit the mark. It's no reason to be turned off by the game alltogether, though. The music is amazing and the gameplay is so much more balanced than the first LA (even though they weren't technically related by PCE standards). Judging a game by a protagonists costume just seems kind of lame, imo. Hell, in one of my all time favorite games I play an anthropomorphic PC Engine! Maybe not as "offensive" as LA2, but pretty absurd nonetheless!

The Cho Aniki games, on the other hand... :P

nullity

Postby nullity » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:27 am

Oh, I wasn't judging the game as a whole on the merit of the hero's sprite. I just didn't have a lot of fun playing it. I'll give it another go one of these days and I'm sure, with a little practice, I'll enjoy it more. I'm glad you mention Cho Ability, though. Perfect example of an impressive game with over-the-top characters. Hahah

Return to The Legendary Axe II